Google Docs is a free online service that allows users to create, edit and save their own documents through Google. Is provided. It works similarly with offline word processors such as Microsoft Word and Pages. One of the most common questions users ask is, "Where can I find word count and character count in Google Docs?"
Finding The Word Counter
Here are the steps to find the word counter on your device, whether you're using a Mac or PC, or a desktop, tablet, or mobile.
If you’re using Mac, PC or Desktop:
- Open your document in editable mode.
- In the upper left pane (just below the name of your document), click the "Tools" tab.
- In the drop-down menu, click "Number of words".
- You'll see the number of pages in your document, the number of words, and the number of characters (including and excluding spaces).
- Click the 'x' button at the top right, or the blue 'Close' button at the bottom right to close the word count table.
To open a word count using the keyboard shortcut, here are the commands:
Mac: Command + Shift + C
PC: Ctrl + Shift + C
If you’re using an Android or iOS tablet or mobile:
- In the Google Docs application, open your document in editable mode.
- In the upper right corner of your screen, tap on the menu icon.
- Tap on “Word count”.
- You will see the word count in the popup table, and the number of characters (including and excluding spaces).
If you've already noticed, page counts aren't available on tablets and mobile devices. If you want to know the page count, you have to go to the print layout and count the pages manually.
Word Count For Selected Text
You can also get word and character counts for the selected part of your document. Just highlight the part of the text whose word or character count you want to find, and follow the direction above!
The word county table will provide you with the following information.
- Page indicates which page the selected text is on: 2 out of 1 means the selected text is on the first page of your two-page document.
- Word indicates the number of words selected from the total word count of the document: 93 out of 420 means that the selected text contains 93 words out of 420 words in the entire document.
- Characters indicate the number of characters selected from the total number of characters in the document: 533 out of 2352 means that the selected text contains 533 characters out of a total of 2352 characters in the document.
- Characters do not include spaces. Indicates the number of characters selected from the total number of characters except the spaces in the document: 442 out of 1941 means that the total number of characters in the document except the spaces in the selected text 1941 Contains 442 characters.
Why Do You Need Character Count?
With the growing popularity of social media, there is a growing number of character searches. In order to excel on this platform, users are encouraged to streamline their posts to a certain extent. Here are some guidelines for the most popular social platforms:
Facebook: 80 characters
Twitter: 280 characters
Instagram: 150 characters
We hope you find the advice useful. Or you can use a free online word counter tool to check the number of words in your document.